Sunday, July 15, 2012

What Teachers Love to Read

I asked the teachers I work with if they would tell me books that they liked to read.  Some of them gave me the titles of books that they read with their students.  Others gave me book titles that they liked to read as children or with their own kids. 

Because the list is fairly long, I will only add the covers of a few books. 

Books that teachers read to their students:
The Million Dollar Strike by Dan Gutman
Halloween by Jerry Seinfeld (**One of my personal favorites:  I read this every year around Halloween to my students)
Earthquake Terror by Peg Kehert
Airmail to The Moon by Tom Birdseye
Pirates Don't Change Diapers by Melinda Long (**The sequal to When I Became A Pirate - GREAT book)


Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls (**This book was listed as a favorite by MANY teachers!)
A Time for Andrew by Mary Downing Hahn (**Another one listed several times by teachers!)
Small Steps by Louis Sachar (**GREAT chapter book author!)
Ghost of Fossil Glen by Cynthia C. DeFelice
Old Yeller by Fred Gipson
Flying Solo by Ralph Fletcher

The World According to Humphrey by Betty G. Birney
Flat Stanley by Jeff Brown; series
Sign of the Beaver by Elizabeth George Speare
Indian in the Cupboard by Lynne Reid Banks
My Father's Dragon by Ruth Stiles Gannett; series


Pig Kahuna by Jennifer Gordon Sattler
Mrs. McBloom Clean Up Your Classroom by Kelly S. Dipucchio (**This is one of my picks.  I LOVE the voice that comes through in the teacher, Mrs. McBloom.)
My Little Sister Hugged An Ape by Bill Grossman



Books teachers read as children or to their own kids:
Little House on The Prarie by Laura Ingalls Wilder
Poems by Shel Silverstein
The Family Minus by Fernando Krahn
I'll Love You Forever by Rober Munsch
Chica Chica Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr.
You Read to Me, I Read to You by Mary Ann Hoberman; series (**I hadn't ever heard of these.  But they sound WONDERFUL for kids who are learning to read!)

The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein
The Baby-Sitters Club by Ann M. Martin (**I also read ALL of these books.  I just looked up the cover on Amazon...the covers are completely different than 25 years ago when I read them!)
Stand Tall Molly Lou Melon by Patty Lovell
I Like Myself by Karen Beaumont

Say Boo! By Lynda Graham-Barber
What in the World? By Eve Merriam
The World God Made by Donna D. Cooner, Ed.D  (**Sweet, sweet book)



HAPPY READING!


**All images are from  www.amazon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment