Monday, February 4, 2013

New Books...At Least New to Me!

Last week was like Christmas in January...for me.  The Scholastic Book Fair was at my school.  I'm not sure if I will be able to put into words how much I love the book fair.  The colors, the smell of the new books, the shiny covers just teasing me to open them...it's intoxicating!!  Over the last few years, I've had to set a budget for myself whenever it's book fair week.  I've been known to spend WAY more than I should on books for my classroom.  It has a power over me that I can't resist!! 

Each year, the parents of my students spoil me with books from my "wish list" at the book fair.  This year was no different.  Here are the new books for my classroom.  They may not be new to you, but they are new to me!

 Bad Kitty is such a bad kitty!!  This series of books started out as a hilarious ABC picture book.  It has morphed into a graphic novel series that older kids/higher readers will love.  This is the newest of the graphic novels.  Bad Kitty is sent to "kitty school" because she is such a Bad Kitty at home! 
 This is an amazing book.  The illustrations are unique and really make the story of Booker T. Washington come to life.  This book taught me and the kids something new!!
 There's always room for Dr. Seuss!  Did you know that Dr. Seuss company writes nonfiction books??  They do!  This is the third or fourth nonfiction book that I have.  The other topics I have book for are the moon and maps.  These books are fantastic for getting kids engaged in nonfiction text!
 There are a few books that I SEARCH high and low in each and ever book fair to see if there is a new one in the series.  SCORE!!  I've mentioned Splat the Cat books in previous posts.  In this book, Splat and Seymour try to find Mr. Nobody...a beak stealing thief!
 It wouldn't be a book fair without a purchase from my favorite illustrator, Mr. Catrow.  Once again, the duo of Karen Beaumont and David Catrow hit a home run with their book "Where's My Truck."  The kids always love seeing what silly characters David Catrow has come up with!
 Like several books I've found over the years, the cover of this book jumped out and grabbed me.  I love the muted colors and hilarious expressions on the animals.  This sweet bear, Lucy, wakes up one day and tells her mom that she is going to make new friend.  Little did Lucy know how hard that would be!!
One of the most creatively written books I've ever read.  Amy Krouse Rosenthal has given the little exclamation mark a heart...and your heart will be pulled in with it!!   
Happy reading!!!

**All images are from  www.amazon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment