Monday, January 9, 2012

From When I Was Little...

Here are my sister and my favorite books from when we were younger.  I remembered a few, but thanks to Becky's steel trap memory, here are ALL of the most loved books in our house from "back in the day." 
 This book, for some reason, has a major place in my heart.  I can remember my heart aching when Harry went home after his big adventure and his family didn't recognize him (because he was so dirty!).  Harry was so sad and I was too!  I've bought this book for several friends kids, but the one that we read was only printed in black, gray, and white!!
This book...I can hear my mom, right now.  Sitting on Becky or my bed, and in her best Grover voice BEGGING us not to turn each page.  As we did, her voice (excuse me, Grover's voice) became more and more pleading..."PLEASE DON'T TURN THE PAGE! There is a MONSTER at the end of this book!"  What a great memory!!!
 My mom read most (if not all) of The Chronicles of Narnia books to us.  Becky might have been to young to remember, but I know I do!

Big props to my sister for remembering these next two books.  We read them ALL the time.  What I remember most about this book (after seeing the cover it all came rushing back to me!) was how absurd the story line was. Even when I was little, I remember thinking "This is crazy!" And that's exactly why I loved it and couldn't read it enough!!!

 Doesn't the cover alone make you want to read this book??  This story, even though I knew it wasn't/couldn't be true, was magical to me.  The entire time, I can remember thinking, "But what if....just what if it could really happen??"
My sister and dad have a special bond over these books.  My dad doesn't love reading, much like my sister growing up.  However, something about this series of books made them the most avid readers when they were in their hands.  They would read these together and laugh and laugh.


 I called my mom to see what books she remembers reading to Becky and I when we were little.  My mom didn't even stop to think.  This first book flew off of her tongue like she read it yesterday!  It is a sweet counting book about a family of rabbits. 

A classic...what more is there to say??

My mom said that she owned this collection of Beatrix Potter stories before Becky and I were born.  She read all of the stories to us several times.
STILL a beloved character today!  I picked this cover specifically because I remember it!  Who doesn't love the silly but so genuine character that is Amelia Bedelia??

What were your favorite books growing up???  I'd love to hear about them!!!


**All images are from  www.amazon.com

4 comments:

  1. I loved mom reading to us! I totally forgot about "Forest Hotel"! I loved that one!!!! You are so right, I loved when dad would read Nate the Great! I'll be racking my brain for more!!! Love you & miss night night reading with you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't imagine my childhood without The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Several of these I LOVE and several I have never heard of (but are now on our library list)! Loving this blog!!!!!
    I have always adored Chris Van Allsburg books... I started with Jumanji. It sorta like bothered me and entranced me at the same time. A Wrinkle In Time was another like that.
    And a few other random books that I for some reason adored: The Five Chinese Brothers, The Little House (and since there are probably a thousand books called that, I'm referring to the one by Virginia Lee Burton), Corduroy, Ferdinand, and Madeline. I could also probably go on and on as well! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beth,
    Wonderful blog (and so pretty!)! I really hope you do share it with other parents; your thoughtful piece on how to make children love to read really spoke to me. I agree with you that the secret to getting children to read is to show them the joy and pleasure that books bring. I used to work with adults who never learned to read and I often had them listen to unabridged books-on-tape so they could feel the excitement of being immersed in a book -- it was great motivation for them as they slogged through the mechanics of reading.
    I think it's amazing you and your sister can recall these books! I can't remember any of the picture books my mom read to me -- though she must have read them -- but I do remember the chapter books she read aloud: Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry (Newbery) while we were driving around the USA (1977!) and going through Southern states. The Westing Game (Newbery) driving around the Eastern seaboard. But also back home: 101 Dalmations and To Kill A Mockingbird... I do remember my Dad being on hand to listen to that one. Spellbinding! I'll ask my mom and sisters to help me remember more too.
    We are so lucky to have you as our teacher (again!)... Thanks for all you do; all the love and nurturing you provide; all the great books you share!

    ReplyDelete