Wednesday, January 4, 2012

My Favorite...Illustrator

When it comes to "easy picture books," the illustrator has just as important a job as the author.  My favorite illustrator is David Catrow.  I don't know how many books he has illustrated, but it's A LOT.  His illustrations are HILARIOUS. They bring a funny book to an entirely new level.  When I read his books to my students, I am constantly stopping to throw my head back and laugh because of his pictures.  The books that I have read, that he has illustrated, are great for young kids up to elementary. 

Here are a few of my favorites:
I read this book on the first day of school every year. I have several copies of it in my classroom.  That's how much I love it!  Molly is a little (tiny!) girl who isn't going to let her height stand in the way of being herself. She even uses her differences to change the school bully! 
This is another book that I read the first few days of school.  This little girl likes herself the way she is...even if she had a green nose, or pointed spine, or blue teeth! 
I ALWAYS read this story to my class around Christmas.  It's so funny and the kids LOVE it.  Murry has to step in as Santa for the night, after an elf accidentally knocks Santa out cold! 
David Catrow has illustrated several poem books by Alan Katz.  They are a FABULOUS team.  All of these poems are HILARIOUS and they are written to the tunes of different songs. The title of the poem from the cover is supposed to be sung in the tune of "Take Me Out To The Ballgame."  This is the first of two books.  The second one is called "I'm Still Here in The Bathtub."  They also have a great book of poems about Christmas called, "Where Did They Hide My Presents?"  LOVE THEM!!!!

 
**All images are from  www.amazon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment